Each Tuesday, Anywhere Anytime Journeys will bring you some useful tips for your upcoming travels. This week, our topic is using your smartphone abroad – smartly.
Smartphones have become our closest traveling companion – it’s always there and knows just how to entertain us. Sometimes we forget that when traveling abroad our companion could be the most expensive part of our trip. Here are some ways to use your smartphone and keep your costs at a minimum.
- Use Wi-Fi as much as possible, especially for texting and calling.
- Offline maps: Caching saving cash.
- Download offline apps like City Maps 2Go and OsmAnd, or cache your own offline maps in Google Maps. Caching a map is actually very simple — just zoom in on the area you want to save, type “OK Maps” into the search bar, and press the “search” icon. Download any and all apps you need for your travels before you get on the airplane.
- Turn off data roaming and put your phone in airplane mode.
- Turning off your data will ensure that, when you’re not on Wi-Fi, apps don’t eat up all your data or make you exceed the data limit you have. You can still send and receive calls or texts while your data roaming is off. Keeping your phone in airplane mode will save your battery in a pinch. Disabling “push notifications” and manually loading your email will help save data as well.
- Keep all your travel information handy.
- You won’t always have Wi-Fi, and at some point you’ll probably need to access information regarding your flights or reservations while you’re on the go. Saving all that information in a note on your phone — or taking screenshots of emails containing that information — means you won’t need to log into your email and use up that precious data. There are also apps that assist with tracking your itinerary like TripCase or TripIt.
- Monitor your data usage.
- If you have a limited amount of data available, you can monitor your usage on most phones. This ensures you don’t go over the data limit you have and incur hefty overage fees.
If you have more ideas and suggestions, we are always happy to learn them. Just leave a reply below.